EcoPressed is a lot like Freshly Pressed and FoodPress, only we focus environmental sustainability. Getting featured on EcoPressed can be a great traffic driver. And who doesn’t want that? Here are five tips that can help increase your chances of getting featured on EcoPressed.
1. Read Joy Victory’s blog post “Five Ways to Get Featured on Freshly Pressed”
As the former editorial czar for WordPress.com, Joy knows what she’s talking about. All of her tips completely apply to EcoPressed as well as Freshly Pressed, so read her post and take it to heart!
2. Include photos!
Yes, Joy already mentioned this in her article, but it’s especially important for EcoPressed. People want to see what you’re talking about, not just read about it.
3. About those photos… take good ones!
You don’t need to be a professional photographer and you don’t need a fancy camera. But you do need to keep a few things in mind when snapping shots for your blog:
• Use natural light whenever possible (like… all the time if you can!). Avoid using a flash or indoor light. And make sure there is light… if the photo is too dark, well, then there’s nothing to see!
• Having a picture that is IN FOCUS is much more important than having a picture that is close-up.
• Think about composition. If you don’t already know it, learn the Rule of Thirds. It’s a fabulous tool. And, remember, close-up isn’t always the best thing!
4. About those photos… you must own the rights!
So you’ve populated your site with great photos — but you found them all on a Google image search. Sorry friend — we can’t highlight your story. To get featured on EcoPressed, you must only use photos you’re legally allowed to publish on your site — whether you shot them yourself (which we prefer) or found them on Flickr under the appropriate Creative Commons license.
5. Update your blog regularly.
If you stop writing, we stop reading. Simply because there’s nothing to read! So, keep the content coming!
You may be wondering if there is a way for you to submit one of your posts for consideration. At this time, no. We may integrate that feature at a later date. In the meantime, feel free to let Eliza Sarasohn, the EcoPressed editor, know via Twitter @ecopressed that you are a WordPress blog so she can add you to her personal directory! (And, don’t worry if she doesn’t respond…if you sent the link, she got it!)
Good luck and, most importantly, have fun!